Deacons represent an extension of the Pastoral Ministry and are considered as leader-servants of the church. In accordance with the Word, deacons are to recognize their roles as ministering servants of the church. They are to be members of this church whose character and qualifications shall be specified in 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Acts 6:1-6.
According to the teachings in Acts 6:1-6, the following principles of service define the practical duties of the deacons:
• To assist the Pastoral staff with secondary responsibilities in order that they may spend more time in prayer and in the ministry of the Word.
The Strickland Family
• To give attention to the needs of the membership, especially to widows.
• To assist in resolving problems which arise within the College View Baptist Church fellowship and work toward unity.
• To be examples within the fellowship of wisdom, spirituality, faithfulness and of good character.
• To provide loyal support for the pastors.
• Faithful attendance at church services.
• To display a consistent commitment to stewardship and the giving of self.
• To lead the church in the achievement of it’s mission.
• To maintain a high level of confidentiality with information relating to issues which may arise within the Deacon Ministry.